Saturday, June 12, 2010

Eastward Bound

The equilibrium of the train car jostles to rediscover and rediscover itself as I extend my eyes upward. I admire the barren, smooth, often miraculously tree-dotted cliffs of New York. After a day of reading about the past, present, and desired future of Africa's educational institutions and reading the entirety of what is now seen as an African classic, I cannot keep the feeling of disgust in the face of greed from discomforting me. These glorious masterpieces of Mother Nature, the cliffs, are crowned with mansions, the cliffs' beauty claimed by the highest bidder. Yet, unbeknownst by the "land owners" (what a ridiculous term), I am fully aware that ownership is a trick of human perception. All ultimately belongs to all.

In regards to the previously mentioned African classic:

It is titled Song of Lawino; it is a song poem crafted by Okot p'Bitek. It was originally written in Acholi, then translated to English. It is a very witty expression of a very hard look at the effect of colonialism and globalization upon the communities of Uganda.

The speaker in the poem, Lawino, is suffering the "civilization" and "progress" of her husband who is incapable of integrating both "Western knowledge" and "Tribal knowledge" into his one mind.

One idea expressed by Lawino that intrigued me:

"Where is the Peace of Uhuru?

Where the unity of Independence?

Must it not begin at home?

...

And all the tribes of Uganda

How can they become one?"



This thought struck me because for all the talk I talk about peace, I continue to have a deep understanding that not all people wish to govern themselves in the same manner. Though I find borders to be strange, most especially those weaving across Africa, I do not find sovereignty strange in the least.

In regards to my new knowledge relating to Africa's education system:

Africa, for many centuries, has had colonial and corporate interests working to strip its people of not only land, labor, and resources, but also its rich culture, political systems, economies, social norms and mores, religion, and much more. Africa's education in the 21st Century has much ground not only to make, but to re-possess from the Eurocentric policies instituted by missionaries and colonizers. Africa must assess what its population truly needs to focus on:

  • HIV / AIDS epidemic
  • Sustainable land usage
  • ICT
  • Literacy
  • Gender Equality
  • Empowerment of the people
  • Functionality in a "global community"

I feel that from what I know so far about the schools Invisible Children is involved with, I believe they want these goals to become realities in Northern Uganda... and their form of aid does not come with mandatory sales taxes or outrageous interest rates.

Currently, I continue to keep expectations for the next two months of my life at bay. However, a general electric charge can be seen scampering across my synapses and letting off sparks of energetic excitement quite frequently.

With love in my heart and a jig in my step,

Karen

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lovely update. Is "Song of Lawino" widely available? I'd like to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sweetheart,

    I believe you could find it through an all-state library search at the public library... or find it on Amazon or at Barnes & Nobel. The author is one of the most famous in all of Africa.

    ReplyDelete