Monday, May 31, 2010

Uganda on the Horizon

7 Days.

At present, seven days rest between myself and an eastbound train to NYC. Once there, I will spend a few days with my aunt and uncle before I meet the group of marvelous, lovely individuals who will be joining me in what is most certainly to be (and this is my only expectation thus far) a life-changing experience in this little ol' life of mine.

With this knowledge, I have been entirely captivated in my thoughts about traveling to a new way of life far from my family, my friends... my only known way of life.

I have promised my best friend (Spoofy) that I will not be eaten by a hippopotamus while outside of the United States. I'm still counting on keeping that one.

With the recent announcement of the atrocities near Palestine, I have been contemplating what exactly is the best way in which I can make a better world. A very close friend of mine (Joshua) contemplated being a part of this humanitarian effort. The only answer I continually come to in my mind as the best way I can use my talents and passions in this world to render it as a better place is education.

"No one is born fully-formed: it is through self-experience in the world that we become what we are." - Paulo Freire


I want to educate others to use their own skills, talents, and ideas in the creation of a better world. The other answer that often ruminates within my mind is centered upon self-reliance / community-reliance. I feel that I must work toward food independence, energy use reduction, and mental contentedness for myself and the community I come to call my own so I may reduce my own consumption of the limited resources in this world. Greed is the most destructive mechanism in the world I live in.

Less philosophically --

I've been packing all day; I've been making time for friends and family for the past few weeks. I've gotten so much vitamin D my mind cannot help but be pacified. I've really realized the joy and love I have for my family and friends as I contemplate my destination for the next few months.

So, that's where I am. I'm looking forward to my near future. I'm sure the gems of wisdom will be pouring forth in the weeks to come.

Stay posted for inspiration.

In peace and good humor,

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment