Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Pondering the Current State of the World

Friday, July 2, 2010

Infrastructure.

I am realizing how important it is to have when restructuring. However, I have little solution. I feel that this community is quite impressive e in the way in which it has developed during only a few years of relative peace. Though the systems may be flawed (in my eyes), they work quite well in the situation they are in.

Having said that, currently reading Confessions of an Economic Hit Man is giving fact to the opinions I have held for such a long time. I do not know why, but since high school I have had a deep discontentment with the concept of debt. I feel that it does not fit with the rest of the natural world. If a fly does not have the energy to fly, then he or she cannot borrow that energy from four other flies in order to pay it back with interest later. I t is, indeed, quite an odd concept.

Thus, infrastructure should never be built on massive loans. Debt is a tool for slavery.

Yet, I must turn again and say that the concept of communities coming together to fund the building of a school or something of the like makes perfect sense. Overall, I feel that living beyond one’s means is never proper.

I remember, five years ago, being asked by a group of environmental advocates, “What would your ideal world be?”

I responded that I would tear everything down and start anew with people living in small villages, in a minimalistic fashion, in tune with nature. I feel that I still envision this as an ideal society. Yet, I know it is not how it is. I do enjoy the ability of mass communication. I love the sharing of ideas and humor across the world… just not resources. I enjoy medicine. I must admit, I enjoy electricity, but I often feel the world would be much better without it.

I feel that we use more energy than is our fair share in this world. The imbalance of energy, in my mind, is the source of many of our problems. And all matter is energy condensed. All searches for homeostasis. The world, Mother Nature, will find a way to discover equilibrium again. I know not how, but Nature works slowly in comparison to our brief existence. It is mysterious, it is us, it is all.

With that said, the natural landscape here (which I am beyond grateful to witness) is breathtaking. The vegetation is lush. The dirt is red with feeling. The sky is brilliant. The wildlife is captivating. I am constantly awed by it (and yes, I do take at least five minutes every day to be awed by the ever-changing clouds).

To write again,

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment