Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Life of an NGO Intern



Hello beautiful, peaceful souls!

Alas, I have not written in nearly ten days, but such is the life of an NGO intern. Invisible Children Inc., as I've stated before, is an impressive organization. The Teacher Exchange perpetually amazes me and it all works due to five marvelous women and three dedicated men.

During the past ten days I have experienced the highest of highs and some very low lows.

Throughout last week, I became closer friends with three young women in group two. Their names are Sarah, Rebecca, and Raysa.

Sarah is a teacher in the Washington D.C. area. She and I enjoyed an impromptu lunch together just the other day in which we talked about what seems to be my favorite topics for discussion: politics, the state of teaching in America, communal society, and of course, male-female relationships of ourselves and friends (what better way to bond, eh?). Sarah and I also discussed the concept of religion last week together. I have met some very impressive, stick-to-their-religious-morals people on this trip. Danielle Davies (my co-worker) is one of the most impressive human beings I have ever met. She is straight-forward, but not rude; she is generous beyond belief; she sure knows how to make a good family of friends; and she's funny to boot!

Rebecca is an English teacher. She and I shared a marvelous conversation about the structure of the modern school in America. We both felt that school should not be organized into subject periods... as in real life, as far as I can tell, I do not set aside 45 minutes each day to talk about math with someone. We thought that school should be organized into times that are individual, times in small groups, and times as a large group. Students would be given a large topic / problem (something like global hunger). They could then research individually about the history, the statistics, the current status, etc. They would get into small groups and discuss and work to compile a sort of report with a solution plan included. Then, in the large group, students would report their findings and actually enact their plan in some way, shape, or form. Oh, we should all be paid as politicians. Otherwise, Rebecca can be found planning ridiculously awesome themed parties such as a zombie party complete with news stories, testing for the zombie virus, hunts for medical packs and survival food, and such. Another themed party of hers includes the "For Lovers" series in each season. For example, in the "Autumn is for Lovers" party, individuals could not feed themselves, but had to be fed by their significant other or their close friend. Have I mentioned I really dig this girl? Oh, and she likes to make "controversial word cookies" (think a tasty cookie with the word "abortion" on it) and "frownies" (brownie cupcakes with sad faces on them). Yep, fully dug.

And Ms. Raysa is a feisty Latina lady who teaches at some of the hardest schools in the NYC area. She loves to dance and she's a fantastic communicator. She and I both connected about our desire to have strong community and to share and that it often times is missing in our American culture. She has a whole lot of love to share and we can often be found exchanging back-rubs... and you know I'm always in for a good back-rub! I have invited her to come and visit me in Wisconsin and enjoy the small-town lifestyle. She was born only ten blocks from where she currently lives and has never lived outside of NYC. I think she might enjoy the life of the Midwest.

Last week I also enjoyed one of the most magical and memorable nights of my life. Late on Friday evening we traveled to Madame Jolly's home (the country director of IC). She shared a few beers, sodas, waters, and stories with us. I asked if she would play us a tune on the local harp-like instrument called the "adungu" (Lorna in the office most certainly just told me how to spell that). It was absolutely beautiful. She played a song called "Akella" about a young boy who wants to know the truth inside of a young girls heart and if they have a future together. Her father, Norman, shared tales of the Acholi people with us. He is an incredible man. He and his entire family hid in the bush for some time. At the bonfire, the females were required to sit on mats on the ground while men sat in chairs (the traditional Acholi way).

Jolly shared a funny story about seeing a naked man in San Diego once. She was bicycling and had to circle back a second time so as to assure her self of what she saw. Oh, it was quite nice at her home. The sky was clear with clouds and lightening circling the horizon, but leaving a large space in which the stars could shine upon our gathering. The second rainy season is just beginning. The smiles of such good hearts were illuminated by the amber flames and the peace of this place was permeating. The feeling is more than words.

In other news, we had our big "Teaching and Learning Conference" this past weekend. This summer, the topic was KOBS (Knowledge of Behavior and Self). This is a new curriculum developed by a gentleman named Stevan by the request of Invisible Children. The curriculum is working its way into the schedules of the government schools in Gulu. The class deals with how to encourage and create healthy relationships in one's own life, how to handle feelings of sadness and anger, how to react to bullying, and much more. Indeed, it is a course I feel American schools could truly use in their "education." The curriculum informs children about real life skills that are so useful for all of us.

After the conference, we were whisked off to Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary (group 2, that is). It was my second time visiting such a splendid place. We were able to actually track the rhinos (a mother and her baby named Justice) through the bush. Interestingly enough, the baby rhino wanted to play with our guide and came within a few meters of us. Our guide was a very sweet and brilliant young man. We joked around about climbing trees if the rhinos got too close again. After our tracking, we all went and tied one on at the restaurant, played some catchphrase, listened to and sang songs around the bonfire, and played some bettin' games. It was quite a marvelous bonding time. (And yes, I did sing "Never Been to Spain.")


OH, and I definitely got to greet a very tiny baby monkey. I still stand firmly that when I have a home of my own, I would like to own a potbelly pig and a very tiny monkey. I would like the monkey to ride the back of the potbelly pig. Is that too much to ask for? I think not!



Sunday, I went shopping for the camps' food. I have come to absolutely adore going to the open air market and purchasing the perishable goods for the camps. Each Sunday someone comes to the market with me (this past Sunday it was Sarah, the D.C. teacher). I have become accustomed to where all the things I need are and have made some good acquaintances with a few women. One's name is Flavia and she always helps me get many of the things I need from her friends. They weigh their produce on scales with kilo weights. All of the food is local and organic. Oh, my mouth just waters thinking of it. And the cooks we have are incredible ladies. I eat better here than I EVER have. I digress. The market is a magical, lovely experience. However, the dried and fresh fish part could will most certainly not be missed by me. So very happy to be a vegetarian.

On Monday morning the lowness hit. Sunday evening two bombs were detonated in highly populated areas during the last moments of the World Cup final. Approximately 75 people lost their lives, more were injured. It is believed that a Somalian group known as Al Shabeb (I am unsure of the spelling) was behind the attacks. They are displeased with Ugandan peace-keeping forces in Somalia. They have threatened more bombings. I have not been able to keep up with the news as I would like to (this is the longest I have had on a computer the entire time I have been here). One of the roadies from IC was at one of the bombing locations. He lost his life, though he was where he had longed to be for years... the place where he was working to improve. It has been somber at the office in many ways. Though few of us knew him personally, he was part of our works' family... he wished for the same things we wished for every day that we work for IC.

IC is taking precautions due to this attack in Kampala (which is six hours away from Gulu). They are removing their logo from their vehicles and the teacher exchange participants are in after dark every evening.

Currently, I have no fear in this situation. I am waiting and watching for what will come of this. I do not know if the Ugandan government will retaliate. I do not know if there will be more bombings. I feel that there will not be more here. I also know that the South and the North in Uganda are still very separated. The Bugandan tribe is the "dominant" tribe here and holds the most power in the government which is seated in Kampala. The North is Acholiland and they are the less dominant tribe here. Overall, I am just thinking and emoting about this situation this week. Actions like this are rare for the South. It is heartbreaking that such things happen in this world.

On another note, this week has been fairly relaxing. Yesterday, the copier and I had a hot date here at IC. I printed over 500 sheets of paper for conference packets for each attendee and head teacher of every school. I couldn't stop cracking "copy guy" jokes in my head. "Karen... makin' copies... at the copier... Kari-kare-kare... The Kare-meister... Karen-en-en-en." Yeah, I went there.

Otherwise, I'm reading Push, the novel which the movie Precious was based upon. It's emotionally trying... but I feel that I understand so much more about the lives of abused young women. I've been playing a lot of Bananagrams and I've been smoking fewer cigarettes. I've been fully contemplating and dedicating to the idea of getting a pass to "Anytime Fitness" when I get home and making a point to have fresh fruit every single day (hopefully mangoes!) and cooking beans and rice ALL OF THE TIME. I also want to definitely, definitely make controversial word cookies and have amazing themed parties. Oh, you all better be ready when I get home... because the ideas are going to turn into actions. MARK MY WORDS.

With a lot of silliness and some very, very serious seriousness,

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment